Day 24 :: Hospitality on a Budget

9681096160_ab7ea130f4_z

A
much joy as hospitality brings me, it can also bring some tension into the grocery budget–especially since a while back, I hopped on the “real food” bandwagon.  Since then, we’ve eaten better but as real food tends to cost more than Cheetos, there’s less margin in the grocery envelope.

Unwilling to sacrifice the practice of hospitality or the serving of (mostly) real food, I set out to resolve my dilemma. I won’t say I’ve arrived at a perfect plan (or that one even exists), but here are some ideas that have helped me so far.

Hosting on a Budget

1.) Plan Ahead

While some opportunities to host come up spontaneously, penciling in “hospitality nights” on the calender each month helps me strategically meal-plan and grocery shop.

For example, because good quality meat is one of our larger grocery expenses, I might plan more vegetarian dishes during the week I know I’m cooking a big dinner for company on Saturday. I might also watch for sales and make Saturday’s dinner using whatever’s less expensive that week.

2.) Be Strategic

When you having a family of 6 coming to stay for the weekend (true story and it was awesome), it’s probably not the best time to grill organic, grass-fed beef burgers for everyone.

Unless you have a grocery budget that’s way bigger than mine–in which case, bring on the meat.

Instead, plan to make main dishes that are more veggie or legume-heavy, with meat as more of a supplement than a main feature (think casseroles, taco salad with beans and lentils as fillers, hearty soups or chili, etc.).

3.) Say Yes to Help

Accepting people’s offers to bring a dish is just generally good practice (always say yes to help!), but it’s also especially helpful if your grocery budget is tight.

chocolate pie2

4.) Do Dessert Instead of Dinner

If it’s the end of the month and the grocery envelope is almost empty (we don’t use a physical envelope system, but the point stands) don’t offer dinner. Instead, invite people over later in the evening for dessert and coffee.

This is one also works for hosting girls’-nights-in or when there’s lots of kids in the picture and having sit-down dinner with 5 toddlers feels overwhelming (though we’ve done that too). If it’s not too late, the kids come already fed and happy. Then, you can share a dessert while the wee ones play.

5.) Do Snacks Instead of a Main Meal

When hosting a birthday party on a budget, it’s helpful to schedule during a window of time when people won’t expect a main meal—just after lunch, before dinner, or even brunch-ish time. That way, you can reasonably serve something light and snacky, which also ends up being more frugal.

For Buckaroo’s simple and stress-free first birthday party, I just served an assortment of homemade, real-food, kid-friendly snacks.

rowansbirthday5

6.) Lower Your Standards

Even if  like me you’re convinced of the benefits of a real food diet, when cooking for large groups you may have to cut yourself a little slack.

If you can’t afford the $8 bags of non-GMO corn tortilla chips and that you need for the taco salad for 10, buy the regular chips. Or go for the conventional veggies over the organic–at least it’s produce.

I try to remind myself of the 80/20 rule: I do my best with the 80% of our food consumption that’s reasonably within my control and try not to worry about the other 20%.

7.) Don’t Let the Budget Be the Bottom Line

It’s easy to look at my budget and think: we’re eating a pretty frugal whole-foods diet as it is, how can I afford to entertain?

But honestly, with a little flexibility (I might borrow from other budget categories if I’m hosting a party one month) and creativity (see #2, 4, 5, and 6) I’ve found that I’m able to both feed others and not scare Hubs (much) with my grocery receipts.

8.) And Finally: You Can Hang Out Without Snacks

Gasp. I know, it’s not nearly as fun. But it is possible.

I’m not saying I do it much–because I like to feed other people almost as much as I enjoy food–but if there’s nothing in the pantry and your spouse suggests having friends over, don’t let lack of munchies inhibit hospitality. Offer drinks and nice conversation or a fun game and you’re set.

Hospitality is about welcoming others into our homes and lives.

While serving crème brûlée is a nice bonus, it is by no means required.

Do you have any frugal/real food hospitality tips? Please share!

This is a (re)post from a 31-day series on Real, Simple Hospitality.  Read all the other posts here.  Check out all the other 31 Day-ers here.

Photo by

This entry was posted in Eats, Haven, Intentional Living on by .

About Jenn

Jenn is a mommy of three and wife to her best friend. She enjoys good books, having dinner guests, and elevenses. She is not afraid to lead a one woman crusade against the rampant misuse of the apostrophe. She is afraid to adopt kittens before the baby turns three.